In this stipend-paid, active summer internship you will dive head first into the world of youth health education. As a Green Plate Special Assistant Program Instructor you will gain hands-on experience in teaching youth to garden and cook food that is good for their health, their confidence, and our planet. An internship with Green Plate Special is an excellent opportunity to assume a strong leadership position and build skills in communication, teaching, planning and organization. Our Assistant Program Instructor will lead small groups of 4th-8th grade youth in gardening, cooking and art projects under the leadership of Green Plate Special staff.
Time Commitment: 30-48 hours per week
|Training:||June 19 – 23, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|Internship Starts:||Tuesday June 27|
|Internship Ends:||Friday September 1|
|General Schedule:||Monday-Friday 8:30 – 6:00*|
*7 weeks of camp and 3 non-camp weeks, providing time for planning and personal time-away for rejuvenation
Compensation: $2,500 stipend, as well as school credit or service learning credit, if your institution offers it. All meals and snacks are provided, as well as treats from the garden throughout the summer! Each intern will be given 1 week off at some point during the summer.
- Lead youth age 9-14 through portions of gardening, cooking, and creative art curriculum with the guidance of Green Plate Special staff
- Contribute creative lesson and activity ideas for garden and culinary curriculum as requested
- Ensure proper setup and take down of equipment for garden and cooking activities
- General garden and kitchen maintenance throughout the week (we have a flock of chickens as well)
- Other duties as assigned
- College (rising-sophomore through senior) or graduate student
- Experience or study in: K-12 education, environmental studies, nonprofit management, nutrition, organic gardening and/or cooking (a plus)
- Strong leadership skills; ability to lead and engage 4th-8th grade youth through hands-on learning activities
- Ability to implement and lead a lesson plan
- Desire to take initiative and ability to identify and act when more support is needed in a group working environment
- Enjoys collaborating with a small team in an outdoor setting and engaging in physical activity
- Excellent communication skills, highly organized and punctual
- Previous experience with 4th-8th grade youth a plus
Application Deadline: Accepting applications now until positions are filled
Please submit a cover letter and resume with two references by e-mail to Laura Dewell at firstname.lastname@example.org.